Friday, February 15, 2008

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith? Not sure if want.

I just found out that a new Guitar Hero game is being built solely around Aerosmith. Maybe it's just me, but playing only Aerosmith songs in GH doesn't sound very appealing. What's wrong with the current GH formula which attracts a wider market? Aerosmith has a couple of good songs, sure (I like "Walk This Way") but not enough, in my opinion anyway, to make a full GH-sized game.

Furthermore, I'm no Aerosmith expert but what are they gonna use for challenging songs? All of the songs I've heard from them sound like they're easier to play (on GH anyway) than, say, "Heart-Shaped Box".

Oh, and yes, "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" will be in the roster.

If Neversoft/Activision are starting a new "Guitar Hero: [insert band here]", then I am eagerly waiting for GH: Queen or GH: Dragonforce. Not necessarily because I like DragonForce, but if ever that happens the entire game is automatically in delicious hard mode.

Meanwhile, I'm still wondering why Guitar Hero still hasn't incorporated timing windows a la Guitar Freaks (where you are given a score based on how well-timed your hits are). I believe this kind of feature should be mandatory for rhythm/music games, since it actually measures how in-rhythm with the music the person playing is, and it adds a whole new layer of skill.

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith is scheduled for release this June. Also, "Dream On" by Aerosmith is free DLC on the XBLM and PSN on February 16-18.

EDIT: It also has songs chosen by Aerosmith. Not sure how that affects the attractiveness of this game.

No comments: